ORO-MEDONTE, ON – Ltd. Late Model heavyweight Rick Spencer-Walt is more than ready to get back to action this Saturday for Round 2 of the 2018 Sunset Speedway season. After receiving a black flag for rough driving after an on-track altercation during the second feature of Sunset’s Season Opener last Saturday, Walt and his Eldon Wallis-owned team are looking ahead to what they need to do to carve out their first win of the season.
“The only thing I’m looking to do on Saturday is win the feature,” insists Walt. “Whatever happened last week is out of my mind. I’m not going to let these other teams live in my head and try to throw me off my strategy. All of these other guys better be ready to work when they unload on Saturday afternoon – because they’re going to get the absolute best of me.”
The May 5th black flag was issued after Walt retaliated against another racer that had made contact with his No. 31 mid-way through the 35-lap event – nearly sending his entry off the speedway’s entry ramp in turn-2.
Looking back on the incident, Walt expresses frustration at the DNF, but reiterates how important it was to stand up for himself, his team and his equipment.
“It had to be done – I’m not going to let a guy overdrive a corner and crank me like that,” shrugs ‘The Upgrade’. “Obviously walking out of there with a [DNF] is frustrating – but it was a message that had to be sent. My grandfather’s always told me ‘if a guy wants to play hard ball – you have bumpers on both ends !’. I guess we just had to remind some guys about that.”
This Saturday, Walt will be back in action with a solid chance of laying claim to the evening’s 60-lap NASCAR Late Model feature event.
“We’ve always been strong in these longer races – so we’re coming in expecting to be at the front when the race starts to matter,” says Walt. “With all the work that we put in over the off-season, and then the frustration of last Saturday, we’ve never been more motivated. We’re ready to win. And I’ll move heaven and earth if I have to make that happen.”